General Questions

Q. What is the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFW)?

A. The TFW is a Government of Canada program that allows foreign workers to work in Canada for fixed durations of time, i.e. “temporary” positions. Detailed information about the Government’s program for agriculture can be found at http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/agriculture/index.shtml

Q. What is FNA’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program?

A. The FNA TFW Program provides six things for Members:
1. Reduction of the burden associated with all the details of the federal program and its requirements with a strong commitment to ensuring that all regulations are faithfully followed.
2.Access to recognized and fully certified recruiters and immigration consultants.
3. Preferential rates from those service providers (i.e. lower fees).
4. Service quality monitoring.
5. Advocacy / consultation with relevant governments and agencies.
6. A single source for managing the public relations and communications burdens that can be associated with using the TFW Program.

Q. What is a recruiter and why do we need one?

A. A recruiter or recruitment agency is a business that actively seeks candidates for the jobs farmers are trying to fill. The best recruiters, like ILC, have international reach with offices in many countries, so they are able to source the right candidates for the right farm work. The very best recruiters have formal relationships with schools and trades colleges in other countries and use graduates of these training programs in their candidate recruitment efforts.

Q. Why did FNA select ILC Canada to be its recruitment agency?

A. ILC provides much deeper service beyond identifying qualified candidates for farm jobs. First, ILC’s qualification process includes critical factors beyond matching skill sets, such as confirming the good health of candidates, supporting upgrading of English language skills, meeting the foreign workers at the airport and providing the foreign workers with settlement services for such basic things as getting a driver license in Canada or setting up a bank account.
By providing a complete package, from qualification to settlement in and final departure from Canada, ILC removes the vast majority of the burden from the farmer.

Q. What is an Immigration Consultant and why do we need one?

A. The government program has many specific requirements and, like most bureaucratic programs, the TFW program is littered with pitfalls for the non-expert. The vast majority of us would need some help in ensuring we are doing things the way the government demands – we need a “representative.”Government regulations prohibit anyone who is not a certified Immigration Consultant from purporting to represent anyone on immigration matters. No one may offer advice, consultation or representation on the TFW program if they do not have this certification. That means neither FNA nor ILC can represent you or the job candidates in the process. So we need to have an Immigration Consultant recognized by the government to do that work.

Immigration Services Questions

ILC immigration services are optional. This means that IF Members wish to do so they can do their own LMO or use a different immigration consultant or lawyer and just use ILC for recruitment services.

Q. What is an LMO and why do I need it?

A. An LMO is an application to the Canadian Government (HRSDC) which demonstrates that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job that you offer and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job.

Q. Do I need to fill out the LMO?

A. No, this process will be done on your behalf, however, you will be asked to provide specific business information and details. You will also need to sign the LMO.
You may be asked to contact Service Canada to receive information about your LMO, as only the designated contact person from your business is permitted to enquire about your LMO.

Q. How long will the LMO take?

A. An LMO application takes an average of 3 months to be assessed, approved or denied. Each case is different and processing times vary depending on the case.

Q. What if my LMO is denied?

A. If an LMO is denied it does not mean that your opportunity to hire a TFW is over; we may still be able to assist you. Unfortunately, the $250 processing fee per candidate is non-refundable.

Q. What happens after my LMO is approved?

A. When your LMO is approved, you must select a TFW to fill the approved positions (if this has not already been done). ILC Canada will inform your selected TFW that they have an LMO approval and instruct them if they should prepare to come to Canada or gather necessary paperwork to apply for a work permit. ILC Canada will provide you with an employer support template that must be signed and returned to the TFW to assist them in getting their work permit.

Q. Why do some workers need to apply for work permits and some do not?

A. Some countries (such as commonwealth countries) have arrangements with our government and do not require entry or visitor visas. Residents of these selected countries may arrive at the Canadian border and ask for a work permit there. Residents who are from a country that DO require an entry or visitor visa to Canada must apply for their work permits at a Canadian Embassy in their countries.

Q. How long will a Work Permit application take?

A. Applications vary by country and case, but the average processing time is between 2 and 3 months.

Q. How long will my TFW be able to work for me?

A. Generally work permits are allotted for a period of 24 months.

Q. What happens after that period?

A. A TFW can apply to renew their work permit, and under some circumstances, they can apply for Canadian Permanent Residence.

Q. How long will it take for the entire process?

A. The employer should expect the entire process, from the time they interview and select a candidate to the time the candidate arrives to take between 3 to 10 months.

Recruitment Questions

Q. How will foreign workers be chosen as candidates for my job?

A. After you have filled out a job profile, ILC Canada will provide you with twice (2x) as many CVs as the amount of candidates you have requested. The candidates are selected by ILC based on what you have indicated as important traits for your TFW. You will be required to examine the CVs and decide which candidates you are interested in interviewing.

Q. How will I interview the candidates?

A. Interviews will take place using SKYPE. If you do not have SKYPE, a representative of ILC Canada will set up an account for you and provide instructions on how to operate the program. The program and the SKYPE to SKYPE video calls are completely free.

Q. How can I be sure that the candidate has the experience that they say they have?

A. ILC Canada has offices in our source countries in order to ensure rigorous pre-screening of candidates and reference checking of all candidate backgrounds and former employers.

Q. What type of machinery, equipment or farm processes do they use in their countries? Is it similar to ours?

A. There should be an expectation of some differences of equipment and even of terminology between countries. ILC Canada works hard to choose candidates with related experience as well as eagerness to learn and adapt to new environments.

Q. Will their driver’s license be valid in Canada?

A. A European Driver’s license is valid in Canada for a period of 90 days (3 months). TFWs who are required to drive in Canada must successfully pass the theoretical and practical tests to get their Canadian driver’s license within the 90 day period of grace they are provided.

Q. What level of English will the Candidate have?

A. Ability to speak one of Canada’s official languages is a requirement of the LMO. All candidates selected will have sufficient English to meet immigration standards. ILC Canada has intensive English programs set-up in our Ukrainian office to ensure Ukrainian candidates have sufficient English.

Q. What happens when I decide that I like a candidate?

A. Once you have selected a candidate, you will give them a signed offer of employment or contract. ILC Canada can provide you with a job offer or contract template. ILC Canada will ensure that the contract/job offer gets to the candidate who will sign it and return it.

Q. Once I have selected a candidate, will I be able to contact the candidates directly? Or is contact always through the agency?

A. ILC Canada encourages employers to develop relationships with their TFW and you may be in contact with them throughout the process. We do request that ILC Canada be kept abreast of any changes or developments in order to be in the best position to assist our employers and candidates.

Q. How will the TFW get to Canada? Who pays for the flight, who arranges it?

A. Employers hiring lower- skilled TFW are responsible for paying for roundtrip airfare for the TFW as part of Government of Canada regulations.
Employers hiring higher-skilled TFW are not responsible for paying for airfare for the TFW. The FNA TFW Program is focused on higher skilled workers.
ILC Canada can help with all transportation arrangements.
Employers hiring though the Agricultural Stream (lowest skill)  must always pay for roundtrip airfare for the TFW.

Q. Do I need to provide and pay for accommodation for the TFW?

A. Employers hiring lower- skilled TFW are responsible for providing accommodation or demonstrating that cheap accommodation is available to the TFW.  The FNA TFW Program is focused on higher skilled workers. Employers hiring higher-skilled TFW are not responsible for paying for accommodation, but you may be asked to demonstrate that suitable accommodation is available.Employers hiring though the Agricultural Stream (lowest skill) must always provide on-site or off-site accommodation.

Q. Will the employees come alone or with family?

A. ILC Canada recommends that TFWs arrive alone to minimized the stress of relocation, but this can be discussed with candidates during the interview stage.

Q. What stops a TFW from arriving after I paid for everything and then going to work for someone else?

A. Generally, TFWs are authorized a closed work permits: this means that they are not legally entitled to work for any employer other than the employer indicated on their work permit.

Q. What if it doesn’t work out with my TFW:

A. Employers have a 3 month probationary period during which they are encouraged to decide if the TFW is the right fit for them. Should the employer decide that the employee is not working out; the employer should terminate the contract. ILC Canada has a replacement policy for candidates if things do not work out during the first 3 months of employment.

Q. How do I terminate the contract with my TFW?

A. Employers should terminate the contract as they would with a Canadian employee. If the TFW is higher-skilled you are no longer responsible for the TFW after termination. If the TFW is lower-skilled or Agricultural stream, you must provide the TFW with the option of using their return ticket to their country.